Are you still confused on which tankless water heater to pick? You can count us to help you find the right unit via our best portable tankless water heater reviews and guide.
Nowadays in the United States almost every household is switching from traditional water tank heater system to a tankless unit in order to cut down high cost of energy bills. However, it’s a good decision as nobody want to waste money when there are ways to reduce cost. Nevertheless it is wise not to make a wrong selection in the process of replacing or getting anew tankless water heater. Whether you’re looking for electricity or gas powered water heater, our best tankless water heater reviews feature both for you to decide which is best for your home.
- What is tankless water heater?
- History of Tankless Water Heater
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of A Tankless Water Heater
- 10 Best Portable Tankless Water Heater Reviews
- 1. EcoSmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater Reviews
- 2. Bosch Electric Tankless Water Heater Review | Easy Installation
- 3. Camplux 5L 1.32 GPM Outdoor Portable Propane Tankless Water Heater
- 4. Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor Tankless Water Heater,Natural Gas
- 5. Reliance 6 6 SOMS K 6 Gallon Compact Electric Water Heater
- 6. Rheem RTEX-18 240V 2 Heating Chambers Residential Water Heater
- 7. Marey Power Gas 10L 3.1 GPM Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater
- 8. American Standard CE-12-AS 12 gallon Point of Use Electric Water Heater
- 9. Tankless Gas Water Heater (Low PressureStartup) 1.6 Gpm Lpg Ventfree (Propane)
- 10. Rheem 240V Heating Chamber RTEX-13Residential Tankless Water Heater
- Electric Water Heater Vs Gas Heater
- Gas tankless Heaters
- Electric Tankless Water Heaters
What is tankless water heater?
Water filter without waters are also known as instantaneous heaters because these types heat water instantly as the water flows through the unit. Also do not allow any water to remain internally except for the left over water in the heater coil. Tankless heaters can be installed in a building to power an entire house and these types are called a whole house tankless water heater. However, whole house water heaters are also referred to as central water heaters; don’t be confused with both terms.
History of Tankless Water Heater
The first storage water tank heater was invented in1889 and was energy efficient because they were designed with thicker copper but was expensive to acquire. Not too long, tankless water heaters were developed in the 1890. However, Stiebel Elton was the first person to invent an electric tankless water heater. His invention brought the major break through making tankless heaters system to be available in high quantities. During this time, gas powered heaters were more efficient and popular among households but yet still not effective like the standard water heater.
However, in 1970s efficiency improves gradually and Europe began to adopt more of the energy saving systems. This trend led to a positive impact in the United States Market in 1990 attractive different companies to go into making of hybrid tankless water system with energy saving cost concern.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of A Tankless Water Heater
- More durable than storage tank heaters
- Continuous supply of hot water on demand
- They are usually portable which allow wall attachment.
- Low energy consumption as they only heat water up when it’s needed
The main drawbacks of tankless systems are their high initial costs equipment and installation.
10 Best Portable Tankless Water Heater Reviews
1. EcoSmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater Reviews
This Ecosmart tankless heater is designed for residential use, meaning for home use and it comes with a complete lifetime purchase warranty. With EcoSmart unit, you will save up to 60% on your water heating bills, thanks to the electric heater self modulating technology.
This product is space saving and also quick to install requiring only 125amp electrical panel with a one 60 amp double pole breaker and one set of awg wire for the connection.
Although, there are tons of portable tankless water on the market but I tell you, this ecosmart 11 electric unit is one option to cut down heating bill cost. Check out more specs below.
- Not expensive
- Electric powered unit
- Never run out of hot water
- Help you save up to 60% on energy
- Compact size only require small storage space
- Equipped with digital temperature control
- Easily replaceable elements
- Back up with limited lifetime warranty
- Perfect for a whole house water heating need
- 6.5 x 13.5 x 10in
2. Bosch Electric Tankless Water Heater Review | Easy Installation
The Bosch product is another portable tankless water heating system which uses electricity just like the Ecosmart reviewed above.This unit offer easy installation process and can be mount under your kitchen sink or bathroom for hot water demand. The bosch point of use water heater can be mount horizontally or vertically on the wall with just few steps.
The light weight Bosch electric water heater comes in an ultra-compact size and space saving design that won’t require much space.Most relevantly, this product can work at 220volt at 80% capacity and 208 voltat 75% capacity.
- Easy Installation
- A space saving unit
- Point of use water heater
- 98% efficient with minimal stand-by loss
- Has a water pressure range of 10 to150PSI
- 3.2 kW output tankless electric water heater
- Operates on 220v and on 208vrespectively
3. Camplux 5L 1.32 GPM Outdoor Portable Propane Tankless Water Heater
Please take note; this unit requires a professional installation and wiring. Finally, the US7 Tronic 3000 is a great way to get the hot water running in your kitchens, offices, warehouses, stores, service stations, and concession stands.
This is an outdoor tankless water heater which needs to be instead outside of your home instead of the normal inside ones. However,the Camplux heater feature 2.5PSI water pressure rate and can also be use with Camplux 12V 1.2gpm water pump. In addition, the propane water heater features a minimum temperature fall of 8 degree Celsius and a 46 degree maximum temperature rise.
This outdoor unit delivers hot water up to 1.32gallons per minute output while you enjoy high energy savings competitive unit won’t offer. Also, if you’re in need of a whole house hot water heater then Camplux outdoor propane unit wins the race.
Most relevantly, this product is resistant to flame,equipped with anti-freezing protection and oxygen depletion shut off protection for safety.
- Powered by gas
- Low water pressure
- Outdoor installation
- Instant and endless water provision
- Supply the whole house with heated water
- Maximum temperature raise is 114.8℉ (46℃) and minimum temperature raise is 46.4℉（8℃）for1.32GPM.
4. Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor Tankless Water Heater,Natural Gas
This is another gas powered tankless water heater just like the Camplux unit previously discussed. But the major difference between them is that Takagi product is an indoor unit while the complex is an outdoor unit. Nevertheless, both provide hot water for home need. This unit features an inlet and outlet thermositor for continuous checking of temperature level.
Furthermore, feature 6.6gpm overall water supply capacity and as a unit powered by gas, therefore an environmental friendly device. It is also an energy rated system and cost efficient. Installing this unit is quite easy but will require an expert and few things for the complete installation. Also note; the water connection area is located at the bottom.
- 6.6 max flow rate
- Energy star certified
- Gas powered indoor water heater
- Need to be installed inside your house
- Thermositor constantly monitors unit temperature
- Overall dimensions: 20.3″ H x13.8″ W x 6.7″ D
5. Reliance 6 6 SOMS K 6 Gallon Compact Electric Water Heater
For household looking for a portable tankless hot water heater that can be install in crawl spaces or under kitchen sink can pick up the Reliance 66 SOMS K as one best offer. The manufacturer designs it in a way that allows easy mounting in the aforementioned areas with a dimension of 15.2 x 14.1 x 14.1 inches.
The cylindrical shape water heater can holdup to 6 gallon for you not to run out of hot water when needed, although it will be attached to your water supply. It also featured an inlet for cold water to enter and outlet for hot water distribution into your house.
Most users like this product because it’s back up with more than 5 years warranty and also, some customers said the unit is design with standard parts that can be found in any local home improvement stores. So purchasing this tankless heater will really be a plus should case of replacing any part in the future which is difficult in most competitive units
- Easy installation
- T and P relief valve
- Powered by electricity
- Perfect for counter or crawl space placement
- This heater is back up with 6 year warranty
- Installed with 120 volt and 1650 watt copper heating element
6. Rheem RTEX-18 240V 2 Heating Chambers Residential Water Heater
There are endless list when it comes to shopping for a tankless heating system for water and if care is not taken, one might end up getting a worthless unit. But the good thing,blog like pickmythings.com expert hold consumers to high esteem and we are more ready to give out the best product when it comes to tankless heaters for homes.To further on with this discussion, comes the RheemRTEX-18 240V 2 water heater.
So what makes this one different or special from the rest of the product? Rheem RTEX-18 is a 240 voltage heating device featuring a more advanced self control, adjusting the electric power to meet immediate demand of hot water. One thing about this residential hot water provider, it gives you the ability to choose the temperature you want in order to get a tailored hot water degree level.
In addition, feature a digital thermostatic operation featuring LED display to view accuracy of your water heater performance. This LED display functioning is one feature most the previous product lacks in this tankless water heater reviews list.
Furthermore, installing this portable tankless water heater is not something to worry about because everything needed comes along with the unit. To cut the long story short, with Rheem RTEX-18 240V2 heating Chambers Residential Tankless Water Heater you can’t run out of hot water.
- LED display
- Digital control
- Installed with durable two copper heating element
- Self modulation to adjust power to meet your hot water demand
- Simple unit connection and easy design for any part replacement
7. Marey Power Gas 10L 3.1 GPM Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater
With this Marey product, you can save up to60 percent on electricity bills while getting hot water anytime on demand. This saving is achievable because, Marey tankless water heater works with propane gas instead of electricity. Gas is more economical and heat faster compare to electric energy while saving you a few more dollars.
Most relevantly, the compact design of the Marey Power gas heater saves space and also effortless to install nearly anywhere. Since no electric connection is require makes this product a perfect solution for homes that often experience power outages. However, if you fall into this class of people, never hesitate to look out for this product.
Also if you’ve been looking for ado-it-yourself tankless heater, Marey tankless water heater is one option never to miss out, it comes with a user manual to guide you in the installation. However to install it, you need Two-D cell battery to ignite and venting which is not included.
To assure you of this product, the manufacturer has been in the heating business since 1995 and that’s to say the brand is a well know company.
- A 5 year unit warranty
- Unlimited water supply on demand
- Lets you control water temperature yourself
- Uses gas, so no electrical connection required
- Installing can be done by you or a professional depending on the situation
8. American Standard CE-12-AS 12 gallon Point of Use Electric Water Heater
This American standard point of use heater is equipped with high end gauge steel tank and this tank accommodate up to 12 gallon while still receiving more water from your tank as you continue to use the hot water being supply. In order to prevent effect of corrosion, inside the tank is insulated with Inner Dura glass for optimum protection.
Another relevant feature, the manufacturer equipped this unit with brass drain valve for effortless draining of the heater thereby reducing sediments while prolonging tank life span.
This unit works at a low pressure of 150 psi which is a normal pressure level for modern day’s hot water heaters. It’s also given at a reasonable sales price for anyone affordability, however you will find this item on Amazon at the rate $279 (+) or (-). This is also a perfect unit for mobile homes, mobile restaurant and other businesses that need hot water.
Although, one user said it’s a bit heavy without water but I believe after installation you don’t need to carry it again. The bottom line, this device will save more money in terms of energy bills compare to rival units on the market.
- Work at the rate of 150 PSI
- An electric hot water provider heater
- Perfect for houses, mobile homes and others
- Inside the tank fully protect with Dura glass to prevent rusting
9. Tankless Gas Water Heater (Low PressureStartup) 1.6 Gpm Lpg Ventfree (Propane)
The good news is that this tankless gas water heater features the newest start-up technology that makes it start at a very low pressure of 2 psi. This is one feature most tankless gas heater lacks because they are build with outdated technology; however they need a pressure pump to kick start making them to start at higher pressure ranging from 20 psi above. Thanks to the manufacturer of this product that makes the pressure level lower to keep the process under control to avoid a situation of hot water out bursting.
Apart for home use, this unit is perfect for campers, RV’s, mobile homes, boat and sail boat. Also, the small size makes it fit tight spaces and for those living in smaller apartment, this will be a great deal. However, according to the manufacturer instruction, this unit is not suitable for an entire home use with up to 3 bathrooms and also, not more than one-point-of use is recommended at a time.
- Vent free technology
- Powered by propane gas
- Low pressure start up at2psi
- Small design for tight homes or areas
- Not advisable for two point of use at a time
- Pure copper heat exchanger with lifetime warranty
10. Rheem 240V Heating Chamber RTEX-13Residential Tankless Water Heater
This product is rated up to 99.8% energy efficient and this means a drastic cut down on energy bills on water heating purpose. The Rheem model features an external control that let you adjust temperature gradually by 1 degree Fahrenheit. In addition, installed with water saving shower head of 1.5 gpm ensuring water is not wasted there by reducing water bills cost.
Digital display is also available in this product which helps show unit temperature level. Only few step installation process requiring an electric cable and NPT adaptor for you to start enjoying hot water on demand.
- 2 heating elements
- Energy efficient unit
- Self modulating power control
- Has 1.5 gpm water saver shower head
- A LED display to view temperature setting
Electric Water Heater Vs Gas Heater
I know you’re looking to purchasing a tankless water heater which is a good decision but you need to know tankless heaters are powered by two major sources; the electric and gas (propane). However, we are going to be looking at both the pros and cons of the electric Vs gas unit in order to pick according to your need
Gas tankless Heaters
Whether it is natural gas or propane, these pros and cons apply to both.
Pros of Gas tankless Heaters
- Reduced cost compare to electric models in some cases
- Have the capacity to heat from cold inlet water temperature
Cons of Gas water heaters
- More pricey to electric heaters
- Release emission from the unit
- Generally need to be installed in areas where the there is air flow
Electric Tankless Water Heaters
Electric tankless water heaters are smaller and more affordable than gas powered heaters.
Pros of Gas tankless Heaters
- Less expensive compare to gas unit
- No ventilation consideration on where to place it
Cons of Gas water heaters
- Cost of paying for electric bills is higher to gas purchase