Pre-planting operations are the most important part of farming. This is because pre-planting operations are done before the actual planting. These operations help to prepare the soil for the seed to be planted. To prepare the land for planting, tilling the soil is very vital. Tillage is the process of loosening the soil. It can also be said to be the breaking down of the soil into smaller particles. Breaking the soil down makes planting easy. When the soil is loosened enough, air, water, nutrients can move freely in and out of it. These free movements of water and nutrient are what aids crop growth. The importance of Power Tillers cannot be overemphasized. It is the best farm tool for loosening the soil. However, just like a Tractor with multiple functions on the farm, so is a Power Tiller. It doesn’t only loosen the soil but also a good weeding tool, also great for planting seeds. It is also useful when the soil needs fertilizer or water. A Power Tiller is used to spray chemicals, water, or fertilizer on the plants.
What Are Power Tillers And Cultivators
While a Cultivator loosens the soil, Tillers break up hard soil. The tines in cultivators are not heavy duty like that of Tillers. Due to this, the cultivators are better used on the already prepared garden, not new ones. Power Tillers and Cultivators have thus coupled farm tools. They work hand in hand for a finely loosened yard.
Top 5 Rate Power Tillers & Cultivators 2020 Comparison
Reviews of 5 Best Power Tillers and Cultivators 2020 Consumer Reports
1. Earthwise TC70001 Corded Electric Tiller/Cultivator
This is a slim Power Tiller designed with a cutting width of 11 inches. Though small, its tilling depth is 8 inches. Earthwise tills the soil finely. It is a useful tool for preparing the soil for gardening or planting. With a simple push of the button, relax and let this steel till your soil. This steel tiller is the best for preparing flower beds and nursery. A smart choice for gardening and letting loose soil particles.
The startup is super easy and its cute design makes it portable. It can fit in smoothly wherever tiny spot you put it. Product dimension is 1 x 1 x 1. It lightly weighs 2.2 pounds. The Earthwise is powered by an 8.5-Amp motor. The Tiller is made of 4 durable steel tines. It doesn’t just loosen the soil. The tines can cut into tightly packed soil. Doing this ensures the soil is well aerated. Water, air, and nutrient can freely move into the soil. With this product, tilling and cultivating is easy and stress-free.
2. Sun Joe TJ604E Electric Garden Tiller/Cultivator
Here is a strongly powered Tiller with a 13.5-Amp motor. The product dimension of 55 x 43 x 43 inches and weighs around 27.1 pounds. This Tiller/Cultivator is a smart choice for farmers. Also accompanied with 6-durable steel tines. The fine steel tines can cut through Lawn 16 inches in width. Its tilling power digs 8 inches deep.
This Power Tiller is a beast burrowing through the toughest of soils. It effortlessly cuts through the soil of 370 RPM. Though electric powered, it is reliable. It comes with a start-up button and an adjustable wheel feature. The adjustable panel is a 3-position height adjustment rear. With this feature, you can set the height comfortable for your Tiller and you. Unlike some Tillers, Sun Joe TJ604E can control the weed.
3. Greenworks 10-Inch 8 Amp Corded Tiller 27072
This Tiller like some comes with an adjustable panel. With its adjustable device and other features, it easily fits into the top best power tiller. Its four 8- inches forward rotating tines can dig deep. Powered by 8-Amp motor and fine tines, this product is classic. The tines are strongly built to dig. You have no problem with Green works unless it hits a stone. Even then it is a Tiller that works well on rocky soil.
The Tiller width can be adjusted from 8.25 inches to 10 inches. Its height can be adjusted from 5-6 inches. With this, the digging depth of the Tiller can be controlled. This makes it a versatile Power Tiller. Green Works is an electric-powered Tiller. It starts work with a flip of its electric start button. This product’s dimension is 33 x 15 x 15 inches. Lightly weighs 29.3 pounds.
4. Mantis 7250-00-03 Electric Tiller
For people who prefer a quiet worker, Mantis is the product to pick. The amazing machine is a quiet starter. Its startup is so quiet and impressive. Even though it’s gas-powered, it has no carbon footprint. This means users need not worry about gas emission. Its most amazing feature is the 3-speed operation. Yes, it tills, weeds, and cultivates!
While tilling, a single flip of its tines, you can start weeding. The machine is not scared to work through thick soil. Its solid brass gear is powerful enough to work through the thickest of sod. It runs using 115V double-insulated ¾ hp, 540 Watt motor. Its finely curved tines till as deep as 10 inches. It is an electric tiller and therefore needs no fuel.
Assembling the product is never a problem. You can have everything up and running in less than 30 minutes. It is a small-sized tiller. Its size makes it easy for the tiller to work in places where larger tillers cannot fit in. With its product dimension being 48 x 17 x 38 inches. Weighing about 20 pounds. This machine is a sure fit for any good storage without any hassle.
5. TAZZ 35351 33CC Viper Mini Cultivator
TAZZ is a gas-powered Cultivator. Though a mini cultivator, it serves its purpose. It is strongly built to loosen the soil, weed and till. It is also a good mulching tool. Need to mix your fertilizer? Look for no extra tool. TAZZ is also used to mix fertilizer, herbicides, and insecticide. This cultivator can work all types of pre-tilled soil.
Its 33cc engine gives it the power to be able to turn over the soil. Its turning power is amazing for its size. It can also break up thick sods and hard compact clay. It comes with an overhand control system. This control system gives room for easy direction in the yard. With the handle control, you can move the device around easily while you till.
Weeding with TAZZ is also smooth because of the handle control. Product dimension is 32.7 x 17.7 x 39.3 inches. It weighs 33.8 pounds. Being a small size, it is easy to work around the yard. Its size makes storage effortless too.
How Does Power Tiller Works
A Power Tiller is a multi-purpose farming tool. Because of its multiple functions, it is often likened to a tractor. Power Tillers can perform farming operations done by some farming tools. It can do the exact work of a Rotary, Puddler, Leveler, plow disc even Watering can. It works using its sharp rotating blades called tines. It uses these tines for tilling and cutting. The blades are good for loosening the soil, weeding, and planting seeds. Generally, Power Tillers are useful as a preparatory tool for planting. It gets the soil aerated and loosened enough for planting. This product can also be used to apply fertilizer to the soil if it’s not fertile enough for crop growth.
What To Consider When Selecting The Best Power Tiller
Choosing the best power tiller is not as easy knowing that there are plenty of options available but not too worry, these following features will guide you in fishing out the best one and efficient model:
- Soil Type And In-Depth: The most important decision when picking Tillers and Cultivators lies on the soil in your yard. Some Tillers can dig through sods and clustered clay soil smoothly. Some however require strenuous effort. You have to hold them down before they can till. When picking your Tiller, you have to know the soil you have in your yard. Is it thick? Clustered? Hard? Stony? Rocky? This will help you in knowing which Power Tiller will suit the task force. For rocky yards, mini tillers are not needed. No matter how strong they are, they cannot work on rocky soils smoothly. Also, soil depth knowledge is vital. How deep do you want your tiller to dig? Power Tiller will dig deep through clay soil or sod.
- Tiller Weight: Power Tillers are expected to be lightweight. The weight of your Tiller is important. Buying a 150 pounds Tiller might do you no good. It would be too heavy to control. Storage wouldn’t be easy. The weight will always be a drawback. A good Power Tiller and cultivator must be light enough for smooth use. Weight should fit in between 10-40 pounds.
- Storage: Power Tillers don’t have to be small-sized for ease of storage. Most Power Tillers come unassembled. But even after you have assembled them, they should have folding parts. These folding parts make storage effortless. The folding parts will also ensure Users don’t have to unassembled after each use.
- Yard Size: The size of one’s yard is another important determining factor when picking Power Tillers. A yard of about 1500 square feet can make do with a mini Tiller. Mini Tillers are pretty inexpensive. Prices range $150-$350. Mid-sized front line Tillers are best for moderately large farms. Price ranges from $450-$600. Large rear time Tillers are best for very large farms costing $600-$3500 and more.
- Power Source: The power of any good tool comes from what gives it strength. Some Power Tillers and Cultivators are electrically powered. Greenworks is a good electric powered Tiller. Some on the other hand are gas-powered like TAZZ. Electric powered Tillers are easy to use and emit no gas. Gas-powered Tillers however comes with strong inbuilt energy. Interestingly, not all gas-powered Tiller emits gas. Mantis 7250 is one of such gas-powered Tiller with no carbon footprint. So, it emits no gas. If you want a strong Tiller that can scale through the roughest of soils, gas-powered Tillers and Cultivators are a good choice. If however, your soil is soft, an electric-powered Tiller is what you need.
Difference Between Tractors And Power Tiller
Even though Tractors and Power Tillers are a lot similar in their functions they differ in so many ways. Both can multi-task. They can be used for planting, cultivating, plowing, and weeding. However, while Power Tillers are simple to maintain and use, Tractors are not. A Power Tiller is a 2-wheel implement while Tractor runs on 4-wheels. Tractors are big machines that consume lots of fuel. Power Tillers run on a little fuel, are easy to store, and very fast. Because Tractors are big, they are quite a handful to maintain. Power Tillers are the best choice for small scale farmers. They are also preferred choice to Tractors by large scale farmers with their maintenance. They run on low-cost maintenance and are super-fast.
Power Tillers are the best farming implements. They are useful in lots of farming activities like plowing, tilling, watering, weeding, sowing seeds, and planting. With just a Power Tiller on the farm, farming is made very effortless. Some Tillers like TAZZ 35351 do not just plow and weed, it mixes fertilizers. This product is like a “do-it-all” machine. Sun Joe TJ604E Power Tiller can control the weed thrown on its part during tilling. Something some Tillers cannot control.
When getting your Tiller and Cultivator, Brand reputation is important. Some Brands have been known to produce quality tools.