Once lawn mowing is done, it leaves behind loads of debris to clean up. Getting these twigs, clippings, plants, and leave branches dropped while mowing the lawn can be harder than mowing itself. Manual clean-up can be done with bins and cutlasses, however, the stress and other health risk factors like waist pain, eye infection sore palms involved can be very discouraging. More so, Time spent on cleaning up can be reduced with the use of the best wood chippers.
The wood chipper is a piece of equipment used for breaking down woods into chips. It uses its sharp blades designed with it to mulch up debris. It has incredible features that make cleaning up very convenient, more effective, and very fast as compared to the manual method. This tool does not only helps chip down woods but also recycles litters for further use like turning them into sawdust for heating. They are designed to handle heavy-duty work for a very long time.
There is a wide variety of wood chipper, some powered with either electricity and or gasoline with different capacities. The drum wood chipper is used by land developers for clearing out forest areas, the disk wood chipper and the screw wood chippers are designed to be used by gardeners and homeowners for their lawns
Best Wood Chippers 2020 Consumer Reports Comparison
Top 6 Consumer Reports Best Wood Chippers On The Market Reviews
1. Snow Joe Cj601e Electric Wood Chipper/Shredder
This super-fast shredder has a speed of over 4300 RPM generated by its 14- amplified motor that chips at any debris on your lawn effectively and without flaws. It is designed with a dimension of 37.5 x 17.0 x 19 inches and weighs 25.4 pounds. One thing you can trust Snow Joe for is the quality of all its models. It is very easy to assemble and use on your lawn.
The lightweight makes its carriage very easy. It can reduce the thickest debris into a nourishing 1.5inches long mulch. Besides, has a lock knob that keeps it tightly shut during use and automatically stops chipping when you open it. This machine is affordable to use since it is maintenance-free.
The reset and instant start button on it help you control it’s progressively. It has a shredder stand assembly for perfect balance while you chip your wood.
2. Superhandy Wood Chipper 7hp 212cc
This wood chipper model has a dimension of 29.5 x 25.7 x 40.6 inches and weighs 120 pounds. It is also called the 3way wood chipper. This equipment shreds, mulch, and chip your lawn, garden, and forests clean of wood debris. As trusted by its brand, this product is made with your convenience in mind. It has unique features that will make chipping your wood more effective and easy. It also, has a 7HP engine making it ideal for both garden and forest use.
This wood chipper uses gasoline as its power source, once you fill-up the single 87 OHV gas cylinder you can work for hours without interruption. The chutes designed with this model are relatively larger than others, it has a 3-inches wood diameter capacity and will chip it down to almost an inch. This machine also has an automatic chute feeder for optimal performance. The wheelers designed with it are great for ergonomic balance.
3. SuperHandy Electric Light Wood Chipper Shredder
This model is an electric-powered wood chipper, designed with a dimension of 15.7 x 20 x 38 inches and weigh 24.1 pounds. It has a 15-amplified strong motor that can chip woods into 1.57inches at a 17:1 ratio. Most relevantly very quiet to use on the lawn without disturbing your neighbors. It is designed with double-edged blades that are sharp, reversible, and very durable.
All it consumes is 1800watt when connected to a 120VAC electricity outlet. SuperHandy designed the body of this model with polypropylene materials which are ideal for preventing fire, corrosion, and dents. It can run as fast as 4100RPMs. It has a notification switch to alert you of overstuffing the machine.
The strong push paddle ensures the hopper on this machine safely load woods into it easily. Once you press the “instant start” button the machine performs its maximal chipping on your lawn.
4. Best Landworks Wood Chipper
This model is our best corded electric wood chipper. It has a dimension of 20 x 15.67 x 37.99 inches and weighs 24 pounds. Its chipping ratio is 17:1 with a polypropylene hopper for loading debris into it. It is powered up with a 15-amplified 1800watt 120VAC 60Hz electricity outlet with a 4100R per minute speed.
This model is very safe to use; it has an overloading protection button and motor protective filters. The push paddle makes loading up debris very safe to do. The hopper lock knob designed with this model keeps it tightly shut during use. It has dual-edged reversible blades.
It is super easy to use, it chips any wood feed into it without noise and very clean. It does optimal chipping of debris without smog making it green and eco-friendly. All these features make it the best buy for your gardening, lawn, forest wood chipping needs.
5. Sunjoe Cj601e Wood Chipper
This model of the SunJoe brand is an electricity-powered wood chipper. It has a variety of incredible features designed with it that makes chipping your wood more effective and super easy. It comes in a very portable built of a 37.5 17 x 19 inches’ dimension and weighs only 25.4 pounds. It has a 6-inch sturdy wheel for easy carriage during use.
It is very safe to use, the hopper locking knob automatically shuts off once opened during use and keeps it tightly enclosed while it chips. It has a 14- amplified powerful motor that keeps it running non-stop while you work. It runs as fast as 4300 revolutions per minute. It chips at a 1.5 inches cutting diameter.
6. SunJoe CJ602E-GRY wood chipper
This wood chipper is designed with a dimension of 19.7 x 17.3 x 37.8 inches and weighs 26.2 pounds. It is made with easy to use features that are ideal for effective and effective chipping turning your debris into nourishing mulches. It is great for chipping twigs, plant branches, and leaves debris off your lawn, garden, and forest.
It has a maximum cutting capacity of 1.57 inches with a 17: 1 diameter ratio that runs on a 15-amplified sturdy motor. It has a hopper lock knob that prevents the debris from getting out while you chip. It is designed in an easy to assemble form for quick assembling.
Benefits Of Using Wood Chippers
Wood chippers have a lot of benefits, some of these include;
- Recycled bushes and plant branches into sawdust to be used as a source of fuel for heating. This serves as a source of income for you.
- The organic mulch gotten from shredding the woods serves as manure for your plants.
- It helps regulate the soil temperature required by plants for warmth
- Acts as a sun shield for the soil
- It helps release the absorbed water to the plant.
Types Of Wood Chippers Available In The Market
- Electric Wood Chippers: The electric wood chippers use electricity and rechargeable batteries as its power source. They are designed with easy to use features like the hoppers, wheels, bags, and noiseless motors, they are very portable and are very light weighted. All you need is to fix your machine to an electrical power outlet. They are designed for a small-sized yard for shredding. It has a cordless chipper and corded chipper. The cordless chipper uses lithium-ion batteries while the corded use strictly electricity to run. This type does not need any engine maintenance or emit fumes.
- Gas Wood Chippers: The gas wood chippers use gasoline as its energy source. They are designed for heavy-duty chipping, ideal for breaking down tree branches in a quick time. This type is considered more powerful, requires no cord to run.it is however more expensive than the electric wood chipper, emits exhaust fume and requires constant maintenance
How Do I Choose The Best Wood Chipper
Choosing the best wood chipper can be done using some of the following factors as compiled from consumer reports guidelines:
- Source of power: Wood chippers are designed to use either gasoline or electricity. While the electric wood chippers are designed for larger loads than the electric wood chippers, the electric chippers are home friendly and less expensive than the gasoline wood chippers. The electric wood chippers are quieter to use and do not release exhaust fumes like the gas wood chippers
- The price of each model: The fact that there is a long list of brand manufacturers involved in the making of these wood chippers, their prices range according to the quality of material used. You should choose a wood chipper you can comfortably afford to use.
- Horse Power capacity: Wood chippers are designed with different horsepower capacity, each for a specific size. Different floor space requires its distinct wood chipper. You should choose between a wood chipper with either a 6.5HP, 9HP 20HP, or 31HP depending on the capacity of the lawns you have.
- Size of your property: Before buying a wood chipper for your property, make sure you measure out the dimension of your house carefully to be able to decide the best chipper for your lawn for effective result in quick time,
- Quantity and type of debris: The larger your yard’s debris accumulation the bigger the capacity of the wood chipper you will need to buy for your lawn. There are different wood chippers for all debris; leaves, twigs, grass clips, and tree branches. Therefore, make sure you determine the best wood chipper that will effectively clean up your property in quick time
How To Use A Wood Chipper
Using a wood chipper is will be easy once you follow these simple procedures:
- Oil the engine and set up your wood chipper rightly making sure to check if the impeller, drive belt, and chute are in perfect condition.
- Adjust your wood chipper to the ground level of your property
- Set the deflector of your machine to control the speed and the direction of which the chipped dirt goes.
- Make sure the machine is on parking mode
- Once you have loaded the mix of both dry and green leaves, twigs and branches you need to chip with a wooden pole, start the machine
- Ensure you have the right clothing, eye goggle, and steel boots on while you chip for safety precaution.
- Pay close attention to the wood chipper while it works then properly clean up after use.
Conclusion & Recommendation
The best wood chippers will make owing a lawn less strenuous to maintain. It effectively chips off twigs, leaves, and other debris left by trees on your property. These tools help you have more time for leisure and to relax. It makes your lawn look very neat, reduce debris pile up and help chip down your wood into mulches. Choose a wood chipper with features that will be perfect for your property dimension, shape, size, and requirements. If you have a large-sized yard you may consider getting the gas wood chipper designed for large scale space. The electric wood chipper is perfect for indoor use and relatively smaller size property. These wood chippers should be properly stored up so they can be very durable. The best wood chippers will help you work smarter than harder! here is our recommendation !!!