By going through this guide compiled by pickmythings.com concerning the best fish tank filters for aquarium, you will able to discover the best filter for your fish tank aquarium with ease. We urge you to exercise tolerant to go through the entire page so that you get informed about which fish filter is right for your aquarium tank.
Unlike in natural body of water where there is a constant flow of water, aquariums are stagnant and enclosed body of water. For that reason, there is a need to ensure a constant measure of maintenance to keep the water clean and healthy for plants and fishes living in it.
Contaminants of aquarium include: unfinished food particles, dead plants or animals, waste garnered from excretion and respiration of the fishes. And a very common and effective method of ridding the water of these elements is with the use of filters.
What's In This Guide?
What is an Aquarium filter?
Aquarium filter is a device that removes physical and soluble chemical waste products from an aquarium. The filtration is achieved through two major ways:
Biological filtration: The excreta and decomposing components of dead plant and fishes produces ammonia which is highly toxic to the fish. The bacteria responsible for this won’t attach themselves to objects in the tank, a biological filter is like a chemically porous sponge, providing a surface for them to attach, after which it is removed and cleaned.
Mechanical filtration: It mostly involves the removal of solid waste like uneaten food, feces, plant debris etc. from the water. Mechanical filtration is attained by passing water through a sieve-like material (mesh) in other to physically trap and remove them.
Different types of filters include:
|Canister filters||Power filters|
|Algae filters||Diatom filters|
|Baffle filters||Trickle filters|
|Fluidized bed filter||Internal filter|
|Airlift filters||Under grave filters.|
Whatever filter type you adopt may be based on factors relating to your water tank, but the basic thing to note is that filtration is an important part of keeping an aquarium clean.
Reviews of Top 5 Aquarium Best Fish Tank Filters
Further in this article, we shall be reviewing five filters, taking care to exemplify its specification and negativity based on the comments of people who are using the product. This we hope would help you make an informed purchase.
1. Marineland Penguin Power Filter
This filter brand can be hung at the back of your aquarium. It is available in different sizes – from medium to large and designed with an effective easy 3-stage filtration method. It is also easy to install and moves large volume of water.
- Flow rate: 350GPH
- Filtration method: Mechanical, chemical, and biological aquarium filtration
- Water tank capacity: Up to 70-gallon
- Dimensions: 15.2 x 6.1 x 8 inches; 3.5 pounds
- Amazon price: $24.03
- Other features: Two-Piece Vented Cover; Adjustable Mid-Level Intake; bio wheels
- Warranty: 3 years
- Users complained of it being noisy when it moves water; the wheel bio-filter also makes a gurgle sound as it spins.
- User complained of the motor burning out and wheeler malfunctioning.
- Users complained that it randomly starts/stops working.
2. Aqueon QuietFlow LED PRO Aquarium Power Filters
All Aqueon power filters has four powerful filtration methods and that ensures that the water in the tank remain clean, clear and healthy. What’s more? It has internal pump design which helps to dampen noise, eliminate leaks and starts up automatically after cleaning or power interruptions. The filter also has a LED cartridge change indicator for easy detection and replacement of cartridges.
- Flow rate: 10-100 GPH (But available in other sizes for bigger (GPH)
- Filtration method: Mechanical, chemical, biological and wet/dry
- Water tank capacity: Up to 10 gallons
- Dimensions: 6.4 x 6.3 x 3.8 inches; 1.2 pounds
- Amazon price: $12.99
- Other features: Auto-start, self-priming; No wheel to stop turning; internal pump design;
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty
- Customers complained that it is not as quiet as it claimed, the noises return after some month of use
- Some customers also complained that the filter quit working after some weeks/months of use
- Customers also complained of waters leaks from the filter
3. Penn Hang-on Aquarium Filter with Quad Filtration System
Unlike other filters with 3-4 filtration method, this filter boasts of a revolutionary Bio-Falls Quad-Filtration system which provides efficient filtration with anaerobic bacteria for additional ammonia and nitrite removal. Also, its activated carbon cartridge removes harmful contaminants and the internal sponge allows colonization of beneficial bacteria; while the Polyfiber creates an avenue to trap floating waste and matter. It is recommended for both freshwater and saltwater applications.
- Flow rate: 300 GPH
- Filtration method: Bio-Falls Quad-Filtration system; internal sponge
- Water tank capacity: 55-100 gallons
- Dimensions: 9 x 6.5 x 11 inches; 5 ounces
- Amazon price: $26.99
- Other features: Adjustable flow knob; self-priming intake tube
- Warranty: not specified.
- Customer complained that it doesn’t clean as much tank capacity as it claims.
- Users complained that after a couple months it becomes loud
- Customers also complained of leaks and short product longevity.
4. Whisper In-Tank Filter with BioScrubber for aquariums
These are submersible filters placed inside the tank and just as effective as external filters. For that reason, the noise is lessened. It can work in as little as 2 inches of water since it adjusts easily to high or low water levels. Each filter comes with a pre-assembled Whisper Bio-Bag filter cartridge. Best used in a turtle tank.
- Flow rate: Not specified
- Filtration method: 3 stages
- Water tank capacity: Up to 20 gallons
- Dimensions: 4.9 x 5.4 x 10.2 inches; 1.4 pounds
- Amazon price: $9.78
- Other features: Uses large whisper bio bag cartridges.
- Warranty: 30 days
- Users complained that it stopped working after a month or two of use
- Users complained that it doesn’t clean enough as the water soon becomes cloudy.
- It does not have a lid so the water just overflows the top and spills on the floor.
5. Marineland Bio-Wheel Penguin 75 Power Filter
This filter is built with bio-wheel technology and delivers 3 stage filtration of your aquarium. It is also very easy to install and comes with a convenient penguin rite size “a” cartridge with each filter.
- Flow rate: 75 GPH
- Filtration method: 3 stages; mechanical, chemical, and biological
- Water tank capacity: Up to 10 gallons
- Dimensions: 5.3 x 5 x 7.6 inches
- Amazon price: $14.92
- Other features: Bio-Wheel technology; comes with a Convenient Rite-Size “A” filter cartridge.
- Warranty: Not specified.
- Customers complained about the enclosed ‘instruction sheet’ being sketchy on installation procedures.
- Customers complained about the inability to adjust flow rate, especially if it becomes too powerful for the fishes.
- It tends to splash water all over the aquarium hood.
- Products start and stops working intermittently.
An aquarium needs filter to get rid of particles and microbes that affect the living conditions of the fish or turtle. This article has been able to define and review some filter brands and we hope you are able to use this guide to choose the best aquarium fish filter today.