There are several things to love about winter. But one of the chores you probably don’t miss is having to painstakingly shovel snow out of your way every morning. The idea of digging through feet of snow in cold weather with a traditional shovel sounds dreadful and complex to handle. Fortunately, you don’t have to bother so much about it. You can purchase an electric snow shovel to ease up this process. In this article, we help you find the best electric snow shovel by reviewing some of the top-quality options. Meanwhile, >>here is our best cordless electric snow shovel 2019 as discovered from market researched. Also, remember, an electric snow shovel is not expensive, and that’s why they are common among households in the United States. Most relevantly in this discussion, you’ll also find how electric shovel works in the removal of snow and how to pick the best with our buying guide provided in the end section. Never forget, we also have a top-rated recommendation for you.
What's In This Guide?
Best Electric Snow Shovel 2020 Comparison
What Is an Electric Shovel?
An electric snow shovel is a machine that helps to get snow out of the way. It is commonly used to clear up snow from decks, stairs, sidewalks, and patios. They work just like regular snow blowers, throwing snow out of the way. But they are lighter and have a smaller width. Electric snow shovels are either powered by a battery pack or they need to be plugged into a power outlet with a cord.
Why Choose Electric Snow Shovel Over The Manual Model?
Although a snow blower is the most popular way of getting rid of excess snow, it has its limitations. If you need to clear snow off steps, patios, or walkways, you will find a snowblower difficult to maneuver in such places. The usual alternative would be to pick up a shovel to manually clear up the area. This is not only tedious but also ineffective. This is where a snow shovel comes in.
An electric shovel will help clear out areas that you will find it difficult to clear with a regular snowblower and do so more effectively and faster than a traditional shovel. They are designed to make it easier to remove snow since you don’t need to lift and throw the snow out of the way manually. This makes the process a lot faster and less stressful.
Types of electric snow shovels
The two main types of electric snow shovels are battery-powered models or the corded types:
- Corded snow shovel: as the name implies, a corded snow shovel has to be connected to a power source to operate. They usually deliver more power, but they are limited in terms of versatility since you always have to be close to the power source. You also have to worry about keeping the cable away from the auger to prevent damage.
- Battery-Powered snow shovel: These types of snow shovels have no cables and they don’t have to be connected to a power source. This makes them a lot more maneuverable. You only have to charge the battery and you get up to 45 minutes of run time. They are typically not as powerful as corded types.
Other types of electric snow shovels
There are other varieties of snow shovels based on certain features. This include.
- Adjustable handle shovels
- Self-propelled snow shovels
- Manual push shovels
Top 6 Best Electric Snow Shovel Reviews 2020
1. Husqvarna ST224P Two-Stage Snow Blower
The Husqvarna ST224P is a robust auger and snowblower that operates well in both frozen and wet snow. This is a powerful machine that shovels through hard-packed frozen stone using a two-stage system. The unit grinds the snow first before blowing it out through the impeller.
This is a heavy-duty machine designed to withstand harsh winter weather. It has an electric starter system that allows you to power the engine with just a press of a button. The machine also features a remote chute deflector which makes it possible to control the throwing direction of the snowblower.
2. Greenworks 12-Inch 8 Amp Corded Snow Shovel
If you are looking for a lightweight and compact snow shovel that still gets the job done, this is one of the best options for you. It is a portable unit but can clear up to 300 lbs of snow in a minute. The compact design makes it easy to use this unit to clear snow in tight spaces.
This 8 Amp corded snow shovel is quite easy to use and designed to be quite simple to operate. It starts easily with the push of a button and features an auxiliary handle that is adjustable and easy to maneuver during use.
3. Greenworks 26022 Corded Snow Thrower
The Greenworks 26022 is a powerful snow shovel designed to clear up a space of up to 16 inches in the snow to a depth of up to 6 feet. This unit also has a powerful snow thrower that can discharge snow to as far as 25 feet away. With a weight of about 26 lbs., this is a lightweight unit that makes it easy to maneuver.
The shovel also features an adjustable handle whose height can be set into three different positions for comfortable use. The machine also features a cord lock for the cord lock which further improves the ease-of-use of this unit.
4. Earthwise SN70016 Electric Corded Snow Shovel
If you are looking for a snow shovel to quickly get rid of snow from your sidewalk, walkways, or steps, this is an ideal choice to consider. The Earthwise SN70016 features a powerful 12 Amp motor and is designed to easily handle snow up to a depth of 8 inches.
The auger blade is dual and curved and features thermal protection to keep it from overheating. It can clear a path of at least 16 inches in the snow and has a throwing distance of 30 inches. This snow shovel also features a rear-wheel which improves the mobility of the unit.
5. Briggs & Stratton S1024 Dual-Stage Snow Blower
This Medium-Duty Dual-Stage Snow Thrower clears snow with extreme efficiency it is also quite convenient to operate thanks to versatile, free-hand control design. This makes it possible to drive this unit with just one hand while operating the controls with the other hand.
This is a powerful unit with a durable design. It has a steel frame and a notched auger that cuts through the ice with ease. The machine also features reversible steel made from steel that makes it easy to maneuver through the snow in various conditions.
6. Snow Joe iON13SS iONMAX Cordless Brushless Snow Shovel Kit
You will love this unit’s versatile and ergonomic design. This snow shovel has a cord-free design which makes it the ideal grab-and-go tool for clearing up snow anywhere. It is powered by iONMax rechargeable battery that can deliver up to 52 minutes of runtime.
You don’t have to bother about tangled extension cords or stress yourself with a pull cord. The Snow Joe iON13SS is a lightweight for convenient handling. It also has an adjustable handle which further improves the ergonomics of this snow shovel.
How Does an Electric Snow Shovel Work?
An electric snow shovel is more or less a miniaturized version of a snowblower. Both machines operate on pretty much the same principle with the snow shovel being more effective for getting rid of snow in tighter spaces.
When you switch on the machine, the power supplied turns an augur which sucks up snow as it rotates. The snow is then thrown out of the unit out of the way either forward or sideways. Snow shovels are typically around 12 to 16 inches in width and they can effectively cut through snow depths of up to 6 to 8 inches.
Electric snow shovels receive current from a power cord which you can connect to an electrical outlet. Some models come with a rechargeable battery that lasts for a while after it has been charged. While corded units tend to be more powerful, they are not as versatile since their range is limited by the length of the word.
How To Pick The Best Electric Shovel
- Consider the weight for easy handling: the very point of having an electric shovel is having a unit that is easier to maneuver especially in tight spaces. Considering this, it is only normal that weight is one of the most important considerations in picking the best electric shovel. The weight will determine the maneuverability of the unit. Hence, you are better off with a lighter snow shovel than bulky ones.
- Corded vs Cordless model? As a general rule of thumb, if you are looking for a powerful unit and you care less about versatility, then you are better off with a corded unit. Corded electric snow shovels are generally more powerful than the battery-powered alternatives. But they are less versatile since they are limited by the length of the cord. Rechargeable units on the other hand are easier to use anywhere you want since you don’t have to bother about proximity to a power source. If you are settling for the
- Consider the clearing width: Most electric snow shovels offer pretty much the same features and similar performance. However, a major factor to consider is the clearing width of the unit you intend to purchase. You don’t want to spend the entire day on your snow clearing chore. A shovel with a wider circumference is will help you cover more ground faster.
- Units with larger wheels are better: large wheels improve the mobility of snow shovels. If you don’t want your machine to get stuck in the snow every time while you work, you are better off with a unit that has large wheels. This guarantees better mobility whether you are pulling or pushing the unit through the snow. For your safety, you also need the wheels to have good traction too.
- Check the handle: The handle of your electric snow shovel determines how comfortable the machine will be. As far as the handle is concerned there are several things to check. These includes:
- Length: a unit with a long and telescopic handle is the best option. You need to be able to adjust the length of the handle to your height. This will save you from back pain while you work.
- The grip: you want the handle to have a comfortable grip. Rubberized grips have proven to be best over the years. The grip areas should also be slip-resistant to make them even more comfortable.
- Auxiliary handle: this is an additional feature you will not see on most models but one that can be quite beneficial if it is present. An extra auxiliary handle in addition to the periphery handle can improve the unit’s maneuverability. As mentioned this is not on every product and it shouldn’t be a deal-breaker for you.
Conclusion & Recommendation
These are some of the best electric snow shovels you can find on the market. They are powerful and quite versatile enough to get rid of snow quite effectively. Of all the six products reviewed here, the Husqvarna ST224P is our top pick. It features a two-stage auger system that effectively grinds up snow and throws it out of the way. You can also take a look at the other options as well depending on your budget and your preferences.