Also known as a “wearable” vacuum cleaner, a backpack vacuum cleaner is a popular type of vacuum cleaner for both residential and commercial cleaning. This type of vacuum cleaner offers several advantages over traditional upright units that you may want to consider.
One major reason why people opt for a backpack vacuum is because of how versatile and easy to maneuver it can be. They are typically lightweight and worn on the back like backpacks. This allows the operator to maintain a natural posture during cleaning with the vacuum cleaner balanced on the back. They tend to have long power cords and give you more freedom of motion that you are unlikely to get with a traditional pull-along unit.
Considering all of these benefits, there is no question that a backpack vacuum cleaner would make an excellent choice both for home and commercial use. Of course, the big question is how to choose the right one for you. In this review, we will go over some of the tips for finding the best backpack vacuum cleaner and a review of four or the best options you can consider.
What's In This Guide?
How To Find The Best Backpack Vacuum Cleaner
- Consider the weight: since the hallmark of a backpack vacuum cleaner is that it will be carried on your back, it is only normal that you consider the weight of the unit you intend to buy. A heavy backpack vacuum will be difficult to carry and tedious to use. Hence, you should look-out for lightweight models. A unit around the 9 to 11lbs weight limit would be an ideal choice.
- Filtration/Dynamic filters: the filtration system on the vacuum cleaner will determine how efficiently it can get rid of dust particles and allergens. Be on the look for multi-filter vacuum cleaners with HEPA filters.
- Ergonomic Design: for convenience and ease of use, your backpack vacuum should have an ergonomic design. This will ensure that it sits comfortably on your back and is barely noticeable. This way, you will not feel like a bull in a china shop bumping into walls and knocking over items on the table. An ergonomic design that makes it easy to transport yourself with the backpack over stairs or anywhere else you intend to use the vacuum cleaner.
- Noise: your backpack vacuum will be sitting right on your back. This proximity means you want a unit that makes as little noise as possible. Fortunately, most backpack vacuums are designed with a noise level of about 60dB, so finding a quiet backpack vacuum should not be too challenging.
Hoover Commercial Lightweight Backpack Vacuum
ProTeam CoachVac Commercial Backpack Vacuum Cleaner
Powr-Flite BP6P Comfort Pro Premium Backpack Vacuum
Prolux Lightweight Bagless for Commercial Use
Top 5 Best Backpack Vacuum Cleaners Reviews
1. Hoover Commercial Lightweight Backpack Vacuum
This unit is designed to be quite comfortable and easy to carry. It weighs about 9.2lbs, which ensures superior mobility. This lightweight build and chiropractor designed harness helps to reduce the strain on the users carrying this vacuum cleaner. The compact design also means you will be able to clean out narrow passageways quite conveniently. The hose is angled, which makes it easy to clean places that you would have had trouble cleaning with a regularly shaped hose.
This unit offers great suction power. It also features a hypercone cartridge filter, which ensures that the vacuum does not lose suction during operation. The hose can be locked, so it stays in place during use. The unit is designed for convenient use. Its extra-long 48-foot wire gives you the freedom to clean without bothering about proximity to a power outlet.
2. ProTeam Super CoachVac Commercial Backpack Vacuum Cleaner
This large capacity vacuum is perfect for both commercial and home use. It is 3-times the capacity of most regular vacuums and still lightweight enough to be carried with a backpack. This makes it an ideal choice for cleaning in high-traffic areas. The harness is adjustable and easily distribute the vacuum’s weight to make it easier to carry. This way, you can clean for lengthy periods in larger areas without stress or fatigue.
The unit features a four-level advanced filtration system along with a HEPA media filter. This is quite efficient for improving the air quality in any room you clean it with. This is a versatile unit suitable for cleaning both low-pile carpet and hard floor surfaces like tiles and hardwood. It features a 50-foot long power cord, which makes it quite convenient for covering larger areas.
3. Powr-Flite BP6P Comfort Pro Premium Backpack Vacuum
The Powr-Flite BP6P offers a combination of superior comfort and high cleaning performance. The unit is a high-quality vacuum that features a five-stage filtration system, and this includes a HEPA filter bag, pre-motor filter, post-motor filter, shake out bag, and an exhaust filter for efficient cleaning.
In addition to high efficiency, you will love how comfortable it is to use this vacuum cleaner. The shoulder harness for carrying the vacuum is quite ergonomic. The filter is designed by Deuter and is built to be adjustable to the length of the wearer’s torso. It also reduces perspiration during use. This unit makes very little noise during operation with a sound rating of only 62 dBA. It is well-assembled and designed to be quite durable for long term use.
4. Prolux Lightweight Bagless for Commercial Use
This is a revolutionary product as it is the first bagless backpack vacuum that is built specifically for commercial use. The bag-less design means the unit requires little to no maintenance. The filter is self-cleaning, and the HEPA filter is a washable kind.
Also, this is a strong vacuum cleaner with powerful suction but still very lightweight for convenience. With a weight of about 9 lbs, it is designed to be 30% lighter than the average standard vacuum. Yet, it is just as powerful as or even more powerful than most standard units. The Prolux 2.0 features a vortex chamber that directs dust particles away from the HEPA filter and prevents the upper filter from getting clogged. It is user friendly and is quite easy to use with high performance guaranteed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are backpack vacuums good on carpet?
While backpack vacuums offer loads of advantages over regular upright units, including helping you to save time and reduce stress, they may not be the most ideal choice for cleaning all types of carpets. More specifically, backpack vacuum does a very good job at cleaning low-pile carpet or commercial carpets with a tight weave. However, they are not the best option for cleaning loose weave carpets or pile carpet. For these types of carpets, you are better off with a push vacuum with rotating rollers that can lift dust and soil off surfaces that allow debris to settle on them.
- How much does backpack vacuums cost?
You can find good quality backpack vacuum cleaners for as low as $300 per unit. However, some pretty advanced models may cost as much as $1,000 or even more. These types of backpacks vacuums are more powerful and offer additional features that you may not find in the low-end units. You may also be able to find cheap backpack vacs for as low as $150. How much to pay depends on how much you are willing to invest. You should set your budget around the mid-range (between $300 to $500) for quality backpack vacuums for commercial or home cleaning.